Intersection debacle
0 comment Monday, September 22, 2014 |
I've been thinking a lot about intersections lately (I have no life, so I think of public infrastructure). Brendan's previous post reminded me of what happened to me last night as I rode up 7th toward Park Hill. Every time I arrived at a 4 way stop, cars always hesitated to go, even if they had made it to their stop sign first. These drivers were being courteous, which is nice, but they also slowed me down. There were a couple times that I sat at the stop sign for a good 10 seconds waiting for the car to go. Sometimes they would eventually go or they would wave me through the intersection. This phenomena got me thinking: what is the root cause of this behavior? Immediately when I asked myself this question, I figured it out. Bikers blow through stop signs, so they just assumed that I would go. I'll be honest, I sometimes don't stop entirely, so maybe I'm part of the problem. I guess that bikes run stop signs so often that cars just assume it is the norm. So when you actually follow the law, cars are flabbergasted and don't know what to do. Because of this, I'm starting to think that I should take the pledge of not running reds/stop signs. Cause, you know, you're supposed to be part of the solution and not the problem.

Labels: