Two-wheeled pissing match
0 comment Friday, July 25, 2014 |
I was about halfway through my arduous 10-block commute this morning, stopping at the stop sign on Race Street at 13th, and continuing across 13th, when I heard a little motor to my left. A guy on a scooter was passing me, inching by in order to get to the next stop sign on the next block a little faster. Right on, buddy.
I mean, I know these things can keep up with traffic better than the average cyclist, and lots of them are quite zippy, but come on, man, you are not that fast. My crappy old Trek has better gas mileage, better horsepower, and it has a little issue with its bike rack spots being taken up with things that run on gas. It gets competitive sometimes.
So at the next stop sign, at 14th, I stopped quickly, then cranked past the scooter, winning the pointless race to the red light at Colfax and Race. I am a winner, yet a loser.
For the record, I have, on a couple occasions, actually passed scooters driving in the bike lane on 16th. I believe they were lower-end models, though.

Labels: