La Jolla touring - a preview
0 comment Friday, July 4, 2014 |

Last week, I did a little riding around the La Jolla, California area. I rented a bike for a couple days from a local bike shop. The first day I rode north to Carlsbad, and the second day, I rode south to Point Loma. My original goal was to ride south to Tijuana but I had a couple navigation issues that put me behind schedule. I guess I'll have to save that for next time.
Here�s the general area I rode:

Riding along the coast was everything I thought it would be � and I see why thousands of cyclists tour this area every year. The only thing that surprised me was how difficult it was to navigate the interior of the area (non-coastal, city part). Yes, there were bike lanes all over the place, but I would consider most of the streets freeways. The only comparison I can draw would be riding along I-76 towards the airport: Plenty of space but cars are going fast and not really expecting bikes.
This is a beautiful area - and I hope to spend more time riding the CA coast in the future.

Labels: