BTWD
0 comment Sunday, September 7, 2014 |
So, it's been awhile since I posted anything, but in honor of bike to work day, I am going to give a shout out.
I have been commuting anywhere from 4-30 miles roundtrip since I moved to Denver. Much of this commuting involves trips to the University of Denver where I am a grad student. I study psychology, which means I see clients in a clinic on campus on a nearly daily basis. There are no lockers, cubbies or other areas in which to store personal belongings throughout the day (except the fridge, but they get upset when they find bike shoes or helmets in there).
My work involves looking professional, among other things. As we all know, it is possible to bike in a skirt (thanks Karen), but it's just not for me. I get sweaty and find that I have to make more trips to the dry cleaners if I wear my fancy clothes, than if I just change when I get there. Also, twenty miles in 90 degree heat makes for a sticky situation when under rayon or other "fancy" materials.
So, my commute involves schlepping a large messenger bag around with me, often including several meals/snacks, shoes, clothes, water bottle, books for school and odds and ends.
The other day, the clinic director noticed my large bag and commented on its presence. I informed him that I change, on average, three times daily in his clinic and sometimes get puzzling looks from clients as they notice the pile of belongings, topped with a helmet, in the corner of the therapy room. He leaned in close and said "Let me see what I can do."
Three days, and two emails, later, I now have a key to the only locker at the Graduate School of Professional Psychology. It's an unused storage closet and it has a nice master lock on it. And it's all mine. The news came today, on Bike To Work Day (the only day of the year there are more than four bikes parked outside my building at any given time), and I couldn't be happier. The clinic assistant and director handed me the key and said "We will do whatever we can to support your noble cause."
I don't need praise or applause for my commute, I do it because I like it and somehow I think I'm doing my part for the Earth. It is, however, REALLY nice to now have a locker.
So, with great pleasure, I salute the Graduate School of Professional Psychology at the University of Denver for their bike-friendly (to me) attitude.

Labels: