More than one way
0 comment Monday, August 18, 2014 |

I pretty much as a rule stay off one-way streets in Central Denver. Most notably, 17th Avenue and 13th and 14th Avenues. I see people riding on them all the time, in the way of three lanes of traffic, and I wonder why they don't just ride on 16th or 12th, where things are a little slower and you build up a lot less bad juju. I stay off Downing and Corona, and Washington and Logan, and all those other north-south one-ways. The only exceptions I make are downtown on the Streets, 15th and 17th, since there's no other option and traffic is usually moving the speed of my bike.
But I ended up riding on 8th Avenue for about a block the other night, because of a detour or something. There were no cars for a couple blocks, since it was 10:00 p.m. And then last night, to avoid sitting at a red light, I turned onto Washington and rode it south for three blocks between 12th and 9th. I understand the appeal now.
The asphalt on some of these streets is smoother than a basketball court. Holy shit, it's so smooth. Flat, no potholes, no bulging asphalt patches, no ruts, no nothing. Aaaaaaahhhhhh.

Labels: