The long way home
0 comment Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |
I met Dave Nice at St. Mark's tonight to talk about a story I'm writing on the Tour Divide, and afterward, I decided it was a bit too nice out to just ride home. So I cranked off 17 miles in a T-shirt. It was awesome.
At around 9:00, there were still tons of people on the Cherry Creek bike path (and in Washington Park). I'd guess I saw 20 people on bikes from about 9 to 9:30. I headed south on the path, I was in my highest gear, pushing pretty hard, feeling really good about my effort. It had been quiet for a while, and then I heard the buzz of someone's derailleur behind me.
Then a guy passed me like I was on a unicycle. He was on a mountain bike, and he was coasting. Past me. He was going so fast without pedaling, I had to glance over at Cherry Creek to make sure we were, in fact, going slightly uphill. We were. For a quarter of a mile, this guy didn't pedal, and continued to fly up the path, uphill. After about a minute, he was completely out of sight. I was demoralized.
I have no idea how he did it. He outweighed me by a good 40 or 50 pounds, but he just came out of nowhere, and I didn't see him pedal, once.

Labels: