Some notes from a Sunday night joyride
0 comment Friday, October 3, 2014 |
7:15 p.m. Leave house
7:35 p.m. Finally see that guy who roller skates around Washington Park with a boom box playing disco music. It's been three years since I first heard about that guy. I slowed down a little bit, then passed him and yelled "Right on, man!" and gave him the thumbs up. He gave me the thumbs up back.
7:45 p.m. Get passed by a pair of roadies on the bike path, who squeeze between me and a guy coming the other way, but manage to maintain their pace.
7:47 p.m. Pass a mom with a kid in a stroller and a golden retriever on the Cherry Creek path. Yell "Looks like you've got quite a handful!"
7:55 p.m. Come up behind a family of seven on bikes just before the ramp up to Confluence Park, including one Trail-a-bike and a couple kids weaving back and forth from one side to the other. The last person in line, who I assume is Grandma, keeps looking back at me, although I have decided it would be suicide to try to pass all of them, so I'm just hanging in back. I say, "Care if I join your train?" "Oh, no, sorry we're so slow," she says.
7:58 p.m. stop for a minute on bridge across Platte River and listen to drum circle and watch dude spinning fire.
8:05 p.m. Turn onto 17th Avenue, pull up next to Hotel Teatro Escalade at 17th and Wazee. Pass horse and buggy at stoplight.
8:05-8:09 p.m. Crank as hard as I can, keep up with Hotel Teatro rig until Broadway. Swear I'm going to puke if I don't hit at least one red light. I don't hit a red light or puke.
8:25 p.m. Heading west on 12th Avenue, stop at 4-way stop at 12th and Elizabeth. Older gentleman and lady run stop sign coming north on Elizabeth just in front of me. Another older gentleman with LOOK pedals, clipless shoes and no helmet, and a lady who's wearing a helmet on the crown of her head like a graduation cap, also run the stop sign, but at the same time I'm coming through the intersection. Older guy #2 almost turns into me, acting like I'm doing something wrong by riding right next to the center line. Proceeds to ride down the wrong side of the street to the light at 12th and Josephine. Group of four takes up entire lane, with a lady in a Honda Accord right behind us. I let the car pass me and pull in behind it at 12th and York. Group of four runs red light. I wait for the green and follow the Accord up York, hoping to get away from the group.
8:30 p.m. Back home.

Labels: ,