Cujo meets Abe
0 comment Thursday, August 21, 2014 |
I went to The Black Hills this weekend to teach a class. Rapid City, SD to be exact. I am a League Cycling Instructor (LCI) which means that I teach people how to not get hit by cars while riding their bikes. So I led the core group of the newly minted South Dakota Bicycle Coalition through LAB's Traffic Skills 101. A couple of them have planned to become LCIs themselves. It was a good group of people with lots of stories. I often learn a lot from the collective experience of my students. But, according to the evaluations, every one of these guys/gal learned a lot. That is great news.
Anyway, Kaitlyn (my domestic partner/apple of my eye) went with me to take in the scenery. And boy did we ever. The person who organized the class, Jim Books, owns a bike touring company called Dakota Bike Tours (a pretty cool concept). He was gracious enough to loan Kaitlyn a bike for us to tool around on. I decided to put it to even better use. We drove out to Keystone SD to ride a route that I had haphazardly planned using google maps. We would follow a gravel road for some time. Then we would take the Iron Mountain Road up a small climb and down through a series of tunnels and loop-de-loops.
Here is the photo journal of what ensued:
Well the gravel road was 99% mud and 100% impossible to follow.
From Black Hills
We took many wrong turns (notice Kaitlyn flipping me off... just jesting of course). This particular wrong turn was up a 15% grade of mud. Once we got to the top we realized we had gone the wrong way.
From Black Hills
I guess my hand-drawn map wasn't sufficient for way finding.
From Black Hills
After continuing down a steep grade of snow-melt/ice we encountered this vicious dog.
From Black Hills
When we finally made it to the next paved road we had a 500 vertical feet to climb. Kaitlyn, on her borrowed bike, had a bit of trouble with the ill-fitting frame, lack of low gear and platform pedals. So the climb wasn't great. But she powered through.
From Black Hills
Our next downhill section was nice...
From Black Hills
aside from Kaitlyn's flat tire.
From Black Hills
Six miles into the ride, we had finally arrived at the Iron Mountain Road. Just before this stop I saw a sign that read, Mt. Rushmore--13 miles. I didn't tell Kaitlyn. That rock in the background is Mt. Rushmore. It looks really far away. It was.
From Black Hills
We still had to climb this mountain (Kaitlyn is coughing... still sick from mild bronchitis):
From Black Hills
So we climbed more and more. I loved it... but I didn't realize it would be over 1000 vertical feet. And neither had Kaitlyn.
From Black Hills
The descent was awesome.
From Black Hills
This is one of the loop-de-loops. I have never seen a road cross over itself before.
From Black Hills
We finally made it to Mt. Rushmore.
From Black Hills
The End:
From Black Hills

Labels: