Thank you, new brake pads.
0 comment Sunday, July 13, 2014 |
This morning, I turned onto Lincoln for my three blocks of intense pedaling in traffic (from 12th to Colfax, where I turn off). I always take the far left lane, and I'm usually able to keep up a pretty good pace if I really jam on it. I usually get passed by a couple of cars, but they're not going more than a couple miles an hour faster than me because of traffic.
Today, though, traffic was really slow in the middle and right lanes on Lincoln, and I was kicking some serious ass. Pass one car, pass another car, wow, I was almost smiling, three cars, four, five, here comes number six, hey, that RTD bus is going to pull into this lane, just in front of the Lexus SUV that's in front of me, no it's not, is it? There's no way he's going to make it.
The Lexus in front of me slams on its brakes. Whoa whoa whoa whoa. I am squeezing as hard as I can on my brake levers (I ride with my hands on top of the hoods, probably not the safest way to slam on the brakes), and for about a second and a half, I am sure I am going to smash into the back of the Lexus.
I hold my breath the whole way and I stop about four feet from his bumper. Exhale, unclench butt.

Labels: ,