So what, I parked in a bike lane
0 comment Thursday, May 22, 2014 |
That's a bike painted on the asphalt, not a Ford Expedition
That's 1-7-5 Juliet Bravo Sam
I pulled over and snapped these photos at the southeast corner of the intersection of 16th Avenue and Logan Street at about 5:15 p.m. today, while cussing the driver silently in my head.
So I bike home, figuring I have a real hot case with hard evidence on my hands, and I call the Denver Police Department's Non-Emergency phone number, and Officer Romero says they'll head on over and address the issue. It's been 20 minutes since I saw the vehicle parked there, so I'm sure it's long gone by now. I say Hey, I got these great photos, what should I do with them? Can you use them?
This is the first time Officer Romero has ever heard this question, I can tell. I admit, it's not something that most normal folks think of. She says where do you live, we can come pick them up, and I say oh, they're digital photos. Can I e-mail them to you?
This is not something vigilantes offer up very often, I can tell. She says, "Boy, I don't even know who you could e-mail them to," but that I can call Parking Management and see what they say. But Parking Management's business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., so justice will wait.
End result: The proper response to a car parked in the bike lane is none of the proposed solutions previously outlined in this blog. From now on, I'm going with either:
1. Calling the Enforcement of Illegal Parkers phone number at 720-913-1600 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday only).
2. Calling the DPD Non-Emergency number at 720-913-2000 (5 p.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday only).
3. Slapping a sticker from these guys on the offending vehicle.

Labels: