Slow Motion
0 comment Tuesday, May 6, 2014 |
Today I decided that the very important task of reading my textbooks before class required me to sit on the light rail rather than lean against one end of the car, trying to control my bike, bag, and a copy of "Understanding Health Policy" as the car reeled around corners and such. I left my bike in my newly acquired RTD locker, and hopped on the train at Union Station. Once at school, I had about a quarter mile walk from the station to my classroom. Normally if I ride up there, or bring my bike on the light rail, it takes about 45 seconds to cover this distance. Walking it takes about three and a half minutes.
Covering the distance, I got the odd sensation that everything was slowed down. It could be that I've had 9 hours of sleep in the past 60 hours, and am drinking 3-5 cups of coffee per day, but I think it was something else. I'm really used to riding my bike almost everywhere, and the time from when I first see a landmark to when I pass it is rarely more than a minute or two (mountains excluded), and here I was, with the same two towers in my field of vision for what seemed like a long time.
I like walking and all, and I'm not trying to dissuade any walkers, I just feel strange when I don't move as fast as I'm used to. Am I the only one to experience this?

Labels: