I'm Not Bicycling to Save Money
0 comment Monday, May 5, 2014 |
There's been a lot of media coverage lately about the cost of gas driving people to pick up their old two wheelers to save a few dollars. I'd like to state for the record that I'm not one of them. I bike, and will continue to do so, for the joy of it. Frankly, you would have to pay me an exceptional amount of money to get me to stop bike commuting. The luxury for me is that I get to ride places, while others are stuck in their air conditioned state of detachment, day after day after day after day. I know how much this sucks, I used to be one of them.
For four years in Los Angeles, my commute ranged from 30 minutes to 2 hours, most of it going between 10 and 30 miles per hour in my car. For the last two years in Denver, my commute has been 10 to 25 minutes, most of it between 10 and 25 miles per hour... by bike.
I predict that the majority of these financial refugees will, like me, fall in love with bike commuting, and stick with it even if the price of fuel drops. I reject the idea that cycling is an act of asceticism while we patiently wait for a return to the bucket seats of our SUVs.
Only time will tell.

Labels: ,